Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Moon River Monologues means...



Moon River by Henry Mancini is one of my favorite songs of all time. In harmony and lyric; it summons those feelings I imagine everyone has at some point in their life. That being; the reflections of a journey. Be it their proverbial path in life or the advent of an adventure that was only recently imagined.

I was in Frankfurt, Germany in the winter of 2015-16 when I took the picture in my backdrop. I'm standing in front of an old; narrow railroad track that traced the edge of central Frankfurt. Past the first reflections, you can see the famous Eiserner Steg, an iron foot bridge that crosses the Main River (pronounced “mine”). It was winter, so the air was brisk and invariably still as I walked across towards the popular neighborhood of Sachsenhausen.

Hanging lockets on Eiserner Stag
 In addition to admiring its architecture, there were thousands of colored lockets suspended from the angled beams and railing, hanging with gravity like ivy down a wall. Not knowing exactly what they represented allowed my imagination to run wild with chronicles of newlyweds, I pictured strangers meeting on a street corner and entering into a love affair while on vacation, or perhaps a mourner who wanted to commemorate a loved one lost.
The experience is one of my favorite while in Germany. I don't intend on blogging simply about where to go and what to do. I will always begin with a story of a specific moment that will be with me forever. I want to transport you there in the hopes that it inspires you to go out and find these moments for yourself. Even if it is down the street from your house.


Lockets lining Eiserner Stag

I promise my blog will not just be whimsical and airy. I want to inform as much as I want to inspire. I have a lot of learning to do and I plan on sharing in that process from beginning to end. 

Trips I have planned this year are Peru in April, Playa del Carmen in June, Jamaica in July, and my newest addition, Budapest/Vienna/Prague and maybe fitting in Dracula's Castle in late November. I am by no means a millionaire. I travel with the idea of being comfortable; yet working on a budget. 

Now that I've introduced myself, I will leave you with the last line Henry Mancini wrote, "We're after the same, rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend. My huckleberry friend, moon river and me." Enjoy your day huckleberry's.




No comments:

Post a Comment